Last year when McDonald’s Malaysia displayed their iconic Mekdi at their very first restaurant in Bukit Bintang, I absolutely loved the idea! It’s just so Malaysian and it brought so many people together in appreciation for this very Malaysian nickname that we (Malaysians) gave to our much loved restaurant McDonald’s.
But I hardly go to town, so I didn’t get to take a photo with the signage then. So when I heard that they were extending this initiative to more of their restaurants all around Malaysia in conjunction with celebrating 38 years since opening it’s first ever McDonald’s Restaurant in Malaysia- I was absolutely thrilled!
With the unwavering support by the rakyat, Malaysians nationwide were given the power to vote at https://www.mcdonalds.com.my/Mekdi for which McDonald’s restaurant should display the iconic Mekdi signage, and these were the chosen restaurants:
- McDonald’s Bukit Bintang
- McDonald’s Titiwangsa
- McDonald’s KLCC
- McDonald’s Putrajaya, Presint 2
- McDonald’s Kuala Selangor
- McDonald’s Greenlane, Penang
- McDonald’s Jln Gopeng, Ipoh, Perak
- McDonald’s Stulang Laut, Johor
- McDonald’s Kulai, Johor
- McDonald’s Kuala Pilah, Negeri Sembilan
- McDonald’s Taman Buaya, Malacca
- McDonald’s Teluk Cempedak, Pahang
- McDonald’s Kota Bahru, Kelantan
- McDonald’s Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu
- McDonald’s Kuching 1, Sarawak
- McDonald’s Api-Api, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
So I went to the closest Mekdi to me, which is in Putrajaya and YESSS! I finally have a shot with this iconic signage! I’m so happy! Unfortunately my baby boys were asleep when I took this shot.. But am sure gonna bring them back and take another shot with the whole family!
Also, there’s a new twist to their beloved Nasi Lemak McD.. Now we get to choose to have it with either Rendang Ayam, Spicy Chicken McDeluxe Cutlet or Grilled Chicken Burger (GCB) Cutlet.. Woot woot! Not to forget some scrumptious Malaysian inspired desserts – the all-new Cendol McFlurry and a comeback on the Corn Pie and Cendol-flavoured ice cream.. Super YUMMSS!
Don’t you just love how McDonald’s Malaysia is being localised and that they are embracing the essence of being Malaysian?
From its food, to its people, as well as the causes that the company champions such as:
- Raising the standards of human capital development in Malaysia by nurturing young talents and helping them build meaningful careers..
- Various initiative organised to give back to the local communities it operates within. E.g. Anugerah Guru Inspirasi, Flood Relief Efforts, Food Sponsorship for frontlines during the Movement Control Order (MCO), Programmes under Ronald McDonald House Charities (RMHC Malaysia), and ‘Back-to-School’ programme.
Business wise pun they are very localised, for example:
- They always come up with amazing localised flavours and menus,
- Their ingredients are also locally sourced,
- Their workforce pun, 95% Malaysian,
- And their franchisees are all 100% Malaysian!
So, sapa tak pergi lagi to Mekdi and take photo with the signage.. take the opportunity now before it’s too late! Share the our proud Malaysianess and try out their awesome Nasi Lemak McD too! Don’t forget to hashtag #Mekdi #McDonaldsMalaysia #NasiLemakMcD if you’re posting on your social media!